Friday, March 6, 2009

Superman: World of New Krypton #1

After years of indifference to the Superman line of comics, my interest has been renewed in recent months thanks to the fine work being turned in by writers James Robinson and Geoff Johns.

And common sense tells me that I should like this new series (I presume it's a mini-series, though it's not numbered as such). It's written by Robinson and Greg Rucka, and the art is by the excellent Pete Woods, who does a great job with the alien architecture and costuming.

And yet, for some reason, Superman: World of New Krypton leaves me cold. Perhaps I'm just getting tired of the New Krypton story that seems endless.

Perhaps taking Superman away from Earth and placing him on a planet where he's just one of 100,000 other super men takes away the fun of his stories.

Perhaps the idea of Superman lying to his Aunt Alura about his motives, or the fact that all the Kryptonians seem to be complete tools...

Whatever the reason, I find my interest in this story fading fast. And now that Superman is self-exiled from Earth, he's not appearing in Action Comics (which has been turned over to Flamebird and Nightwing) or Superman's own comic (which stars Mon-El).

So I guess the upside to all this is that I'm only buying one Superman comic a month instead of two. So at least I'm saving money on the deal.

Grade: B

No comments: