Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Strange Tales #3 (of 3)

I have to admit that I'm a fan of comics continuity - something Marvel Comics has (mostly) done a great job of managing.

However, there should always be room for clever, creative and original takes on the Marvel Universe, and that company has a long history of managing that, too - anyone remember Not Brand Echh?

With this issue, Marvel wraps up its three-issue series that bears the classic title Strange Tales. But this new version has been very different from past incarnations.

This time around, Marvel has allowed its characters to be reinterpreted by some of the most unique talents in the comics industry.

This issue includes an outstanding version of the Hulk by Usagi Yojimbo's Stan Sakai and yet another anger-filled version of the big green guy by Peter Bagge.

There are a dozen other creators at work in this issue, providing short stories including characters like Longshot, the Fantastic Four, the Beast, Morbius, the Punisher, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Spider-Man, Nightcrawler, the Sub-Mariner, the Watcher and a story that I think includes Wolverine. Maybe.

It's an interesting mix and well worth checking out, although it's a wide mix of stories - some silly gags, some thoughtful, and some are just bizarre.

I'd love to see this kind of book on an annual basis (a monthly title would get old pretty quick) - by keeping it fresh and, to be frank, a special experience, it's a fun way to get a different look at some classic characters.

Grade: B-

2 comments:

Cephas said...

I liked this series more than I thought I would, though I liked the third issue the least for some reason (maybe getting used to it?) I thought it had some fresh, interesting and funny stuff that reminded me of NBE sometimes. This latest issue had some real stinkers though, I thought.

Chuck said...

Pete, I have to agree that this issue was the least of the three. That abstract story, I have to admit, completely lost me. No idea what that was about, although it was a cool bit o' art.