Sunday, February 28, 2010

Batman and Robin #9

This issue wraps up the third story arc since the Batman and Robin comic began, and I'm still not sure how much I like it.

I should say, there are things about it I like a lot. I like Dick Grayson's turn as Batman - if anything, he reminds me of "my" Batman - the early '60s version that smiled and had fun fighting crime (while at the same time being a great fighter and terribly efficient), as opposed to the grim and tortured creature of the night that the character later became.

I mostly like Batman's son Damien as Robin. He's cocky, tough and smart, but at times he crosses the line into being obnoxious. However, the character has lots of room to grow, and so far, I'm enjoying the process.

What I'm not crazy about is the tone of the stories Grant Morrison was written so far in this series - they've been very dark, with gruesome mutilations, murders, deaths and near-deaths. The stories seem to be working against the new Batman's persona.

Last issue Dick Grayson managed to resurrect the Batman body brought back by Superman at the end of Final Crisis. In this issue we realize that something is terribly wrong, and the creature resurrected isn't Bruce Wayne.

What follows is a tense battle between Batmen, Robin and guest-star Batwoman, with an assist by Alfred.

I like the art a lot, and I'm sorry to hear that this is Cameron Stewart's last issue (for now). He has a clean, powerful style and I really like the way the panels seem to leap around the page during the action sequences.

I may be on the fence about this comic, but it's always interesting, and I'm certainly curious to see where it goes from here - so I'll keep hanging around.

Grade: B+

No comments: