Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Classics - The Amazing Screw-On Head

(Chuck's on the road today for work, so new reviews will have to wait a day. In the meantime, here's a bonus "Classic" review to tide you over.)

Creator Mike Mignola is best known for creating Hellboy (and tons of incredible art, of course), but he also created another character that was even more light-hearted and offbeat - The Amazing Screw-On Head.

First published in May 2002, that character is summoned into action by a painting (or the image) of Abraham Lincoln. Or maybe it's the real Abe, who knows?

He's alerted to a deadly scheme by Emperor Zombie. What follows is a zany combination of black humor, not-so-black humor, the supernatural, super-science, classic bad guys, monsters and assorted over-the-top, hoo-hah action.

It's all framed by incredible artwork by Mignola - moody and funny and intense, sometimes all at once.

This comic is just a delight from start to finish. I have to admit I haven't seen the animated version yet - it's on my NetFlix list - but I'm looking forward to it.

Mignola's work is always a no-brainer for me - if he's writing or drawing the comic - and especially if he's doing both - then I buy it. And so should you.

Grade: A-

----------------

2 comments:

Dom said...

I met Mike Mignola and his daughter Katie when the new Screw on Head book came out. Katie had written a story in it. I bought a signed copy for my girlfriend, but didn't get the book for myself. I did however get a $100 gift certificate to my comic shop when Katie drew my name from a raffle. Now I will always like my self some Mignolas.

Here's a link to that event which has a video of it. (I'm not in the actual video though.)

http://manhattanbeach.patch.com/articles/hellboy-fans-flock-to-comic-bug-for-authors-new-book#video-1357441

Chuck said...

Dom, great story - thanks!