Sunday, January 16, 2011

Heroes for Hire #2

Here's the second issue of Heroes for Hire, and it's... an awful lot like the first issue.

Once again we're dropped into the middle of an ongoing menace - this one has a supernatural angle to it - and Misty Knight serves as Oracle - I mean, as the behind-the-scenes guidance for several Marvel characters to tackle the mystery and take out the mastermind behind it.

Notice I didn't call them Marvel "heroes" - that's because none of them seem particularly heroic, with the possible exception of Paladin (and I'm not even sure about him).

Of more interest is the secret force working behind Misty without her knowing it - but that mystery will be apparently a while in being solved.

For me, this comic still sits firmly on the fence. The writing by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning is sharp, but the comic still feels more like a random team-up issue than part of a team book.

The art by Brad Walker and Andrew Hennessy is quite good - dark and moody with a painted look to it. A few of the panel layouts seem odd, but overall their style works for this comic.

I'm interested enough to keep hanging on for now - but unless it all starts pulling together more (and soon), I doubt I'll make it past the first story arc.

Grade: B

No comments: