Monday, April 18, 2011

Hellboy: Buster Oakley Gets His Wish (One-Shot)

This has to be the most daring Hellboy comic yet - and hoo boy, is that saying something!

But with this issue, creator and writer Mike Mignola takes the character into dangerous territory.

Hellboy is at home, of course, in the realm of the supernatural - monsters, demons, vampires, that sort of thing. But for the first time (that I can remember), Mignola takes the character in a different direction, as he dips his toes into the world of science fiction.

I have to admit that it didn't feel right at first - it's a step way outside the comfort zone. But after I got over the initial shock, I found that I enjoyed the issue quite a bit.

Part of the reason for that is because Hellboy is such a great character, he can tackle any situation.

Another reason is the fantastic artwork by Kevin Nowlan - in fact, Nowlan did everything - pencils, inks, colors, even the lettering! It's a rare treat these days to see his work, and a real delight to see it on this odd issue.

The final reason this issue works is that it's loaded with action and lots of humor. Would that more comics would follow its lead.

I can see where some Hellboy fans wouldn't care for this issue - it's different from the usual.

But I enjoyed it!

Grade: A

---------------

No comments: