Saturday, May 28, 2011

Uncanny X-Men #537

For months - no, make that years - I've been buying Uncanny X-Men largely on inertia.

In other words, I buy it because I've always bought it, not because it's the most entertaining comic I read every month.

There have been a few issues I've enjoyed, though none as much as Joss Whedon and John Cassaday's run on The Astonishing X-Men, which began in 2004.

Perhaps the present-day creative team feels the same way, because they have tapped into elements of that story here - and for the first time in a while, I read an issue of X-Men and thought, "That was a good comic."

Writer Kieron Gillen has crafted an exciting, action-packed issue here. The former leader of the inhabitants of Breakworld, Kruun, is out for revenge - and it looks like he might just succeed!

The best hope for the X-Men lies in Kitty Pryde, who's trapped in her intangible state - so how can she hope to stand against a ruthless killer, when the lives of her teammates are on the line?

Well, that's all part of the fun.

The art is by Terry and Rachel Dodson, and it's outstanding. They depict Kitty's fear - and determination - with great skill, and they create a terrific chase sequence - something that's not easy to manage in a comic book.

I've no idea where the story goes from here, and that's a great thing.

It's too soon to say that the X-Men are back to their former standing as Marvel's best comic - but I'd say they're definitely on the right track.

More like this, please!

Grade: A-

-----------------

No comments: