Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Resurrection Man #2

Here's one of the "New 52" that I missed the first time around, but my friend Clint recommended it, so I gave it a shot. (Luckily, I was able to pick up a copy of both the first and second issues last Wednesday.)

Resurrection Man is a character I've never read before (he had appeared in the "old DC"), but it's certainly an interesting premise.

The title character is a mystery to us and to himself - but for some reason a lot of people want him dead. Fortunately for him, death is not an obstacle - just a new beginning.

Every time he dies, he returns to life with a different super-power. Which comes in handy, since he's constantly threatened by assassins - including this issue's guest stars, the voluptuous Body Doubles.

It's a clever premise by writers Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning, and it pulls us right in. The title character is sympathetic, the "new powers" angle is unique and the plot twists are plentiful.

The art is by Fernando Dagnino, whose work I'm not familiar with, but his style works well with this title. Sometimes his art is realistic, sometimes stylistic, but always creative and in service to the story.

So I can see why Clint recommended this comic - the central mystery is intriguing and it'll be interesting to see it unfold. Part science fiction, part superhero, part supernatural (maybe), it's an interesting mix that promises something for everyone.

It's a little early to pass final judgment, but so far, I like what I see.

Grade: A-

-----------------

No comments: