Monday, January 16, 2012

Wolverine and the X-Men #4

This comic continues to defy expectations (sort of) - in that I find that I've really enjoyed half the issues so far, and really disliked the other half.

This issue of Wolverine and the X-Men finds the book back in the positive again as it focuses on the students in Wolvie's new version of the Xavier Academy.

The comic leans very close to the "way too much going on" side of things, but this time around the balance is maintained.

Writer Jason Aaron provides some good dialogue with the students, a clever (if improbable) glimpse into a possible future, and a focus on the instructors (though I don't care at all for the Kitty Pryde story element introduced at the end of the issue, which lunges into fan fiction territory).

I really like the artwork, but it seems strange that Art Adams spells his name "Nick Bradshaw" in the credits. To be fair, it's not an exact copy, but Bradshaw obviously counts Art as one of his chief influences. Since I like Adams' art (no pun intended), I like this too.

So, a good issue, but I'm still on the fence here. If this series can string together a few more solid issues like this one, I'll hang around. If not, it'll take its place on the bench next to Spider-Man and Uncanny X-Men.

Grade: B+

-----------------

No comments: