Thursday, February 16, 2012

Batman #6

While I've really been enjoying this "New 52" adventures of Batman (at least in this title), I have to admit that part of me mourns the fact that very few of DC's titles are really "all ages" material.

Most mainstream titles are designed to be enjoyed by any reader, no matter their age or sophistication. These days, however, comics seem to be almost exclusively aimed at either adults - or kids.

This issue of Batman, for example, contains numerous scenes of brutality. The Dark Knight in particular takes a pounding here - the blood flies and we get lots of closeups of fear-filled eyes.

There are other horrific images involving the Court of Owls and their henchman, The Talon. It's all what I would consider a bit too intense for younger readers.

Let me quickly add that, as a grownup, I very much admire the work the creative team is doing here. Writer Scott Snyder has crafted an outstanding, grisly tale that pushes Batman about as far as I've ever seen him pushed before - and in as bad a spot as one could expect to find.

Artist Greg Capullo is also doing the best work of his career, creating a nightmarish maze where Batman is trapped, and some truly frightening opponents in the dark.

To say more would be to give too much away, but in this opening storyline for the "new" title they've created a new menace for Batman to face, and it's one that is both compelling and a true challenge for him to overcome.

For the first time in a long, long time, this title is at the top of my reading list. That's the best compliment I can give it.

Grade: A

-----------------

No comments: