Friday, March 9, 2012

John Carter - the Movie

I got a chance to see John Carter today, and I'm happy to report that I enjoyed the heck out of it!

It's based on the Edgar Rice Burroughs novel A Princess of Mars, which was one of my favorites as a youngster. I would never have expected that the world of Barsoom could be brought so vividly to life - amazing what they can do with computer animation!

I can't say it's the greatest movie ever - there are a few slow spots, of course, since there's a lot to explain and set up (it's an origin story, after all) - but there are loads of great action sequences, stunning visuals and convincing (super) heroics.

Purists might balk at some of the changes to the story - I consider them mostly minor - but I thought the filmmakers crafted a fun science fantasy adventure.

I thought the actors did a great job - the leads (and voice work) were very good, and the actress playing Dejah Thoris was a fun character.

The effects were terrific, there were some good humorous touches (though it probably could have used a little more on that score), and the stage is set for sequels.

I walked out with a big smile on my face (the last shot was a delight). I really hope this does well - I'll definitely be buying the eventual Blu-Ray release.

I saw the 3-D version, and it was ok, but not crucial - you won't miss much by going to the 2-D version.

Still, a fun adventure flick - recommended!

Grade: A-

----------------

No comments: