Friday, April 20, 2012

Batman #8

My interest in Batman has always been sporadic over the years.

I started reading the comic in the early '60s, back when the usual opponents were aliens and most stories involved Batman undergoing a strange transformation.

Then I stopped reading for a while, only to be brought back by the TV show in the late '60s.

Then I stopped reading again, only to be brought back by Archie Goodwin's stint as editor alongside some all-star artists.

Then I stopped reading again, only to come back when Steve Englehart made his historic run on the title.

You get the idea. I've been a fickle Bat-fan, but I have to admit that I'm really enjoying the story writer Scott Snyder and artist Greg Capullo have been crafting in this new version of the Batman comic.

They've established a small army of virtually-unbeatable villains known collectively as the Court of Owls - and this issue kicks off the Bat-line-wide crossover that has the Talons (the enforcer for the organization) attacking residents in Gotham City - so how can Batman hope to stand up to this menace alone?

Just how capable are the Talons? They manage to catch Bruce Wayne by surprise. Not an easy task, and it's not clear if Bruce can survive the attack.

With terrific art and lots of twists, this is a story to watch.

That doesn't mean I'll be buying every issue as the story crosses over into books like Nightwing, Batman & Robin, Catwoman and Birds of Prey (to name a few). But nice try, DC - I'll just be following in the Batman title.

Still, it's an excellent story, loaded with great art, lots of surprises and a serious challenge to the Dark Knight.

Looks like I'll be sticking around for a while.

Grade: A-

No comments: