Sunday, April 1, 2012

The Twelve #11 (of 12)

As The Twelve draws near the end, the team is forced into a deadly fight with a powerful, pitiless enemy.

And the team is at a real disadvantage, because most of the members are normal humans, or only have a very specific (and limited) power.

To its credit, this issue feels like a throwback to the issue of Alan Moore's Marvelman / Miracleman, where the hero is suddenly forced to fight a frightening and powerful opponent.

It's a difficult issue to talk about without giving away key plot points, but it brings to a conclusion some of the storylines have been running through the series - although I suspect there are a few more surprises waiting in the final issue.

It's tempting to be dismissive of this issue, if just because it's been so long in arriving - but it's a sharply written comic (as you'd expect from J. Michael Straczynski) and the artwork by Chris Weston is wonderful - hard-hitting, realistic and telling a powerful story.

I hate to see this series ending, but I have to admit that I can't wait to see how it all wraps up. I know, I confuse myself sometimes.

Grade: A-

-----------------

No comments: