Saturday, April 7, 2012

Wolverine and the X-Men #8

If you made a graph of the success and failure of this comic, it would look like a roller coaster.

That's because Wolverine and the X-Men keeps gyrating between being a fun, entertaining comic, and being a dopey, fan fiction mess.

This issue falls into the latter category.

I'm not even sure I can recap the story by Jason Aaron - it's all over the place. We have Wolverine struggling to recover from a devastating injury, the return of the kids (literally) who control the Hellfire Club, a terrible attack by Sabretooth with a massive body count that no one seems to care about, a class of students off on a highly illegal and dangerous mission (they're playing hooky in space).

Chris Bachalo and Tim Townsend provide the art, and (like the story) it veers wildly from amazing images to panels where I have no idea what's happening.

I appreciate the humor, I appreciate the attempt to do something different - but I'm having trouble finding a character in this comic to like and support. Does everyone have to be a killer?

Surely not.

Grade: C+

---------------

No comments: