Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The Classics - Two-Gun Kid #66

I have to admit that, when I was a kid, I was never a big fan of western comics - I was more into super-heroes. (Shows what I knew.)

But I would occasionally pick up one of Marvel's western comics. There were three that enjoyed long runs: Kid Colt, The Rawhide Kid and Two-Gun Kid.

The first two were very similar in concept - a young gunslinger is mistakenly accused of being a criminal and goes on the run, hoping to prove his innocence someday. The Two-Gun Kid is modeled after a typical super-hero, complete with a secret identity (in real life he's frontier attorney Matt Hawk), a mask and a regular supporting cast, including love interest Nancy Carter and best friend Boom-Boom (who must be an ancestor of Dum-Dum Dugan).

The difference is, Two-Gun works with the law. This issue is a solid example of the usual Stan Lee - Dick Ayers stories, as an old enemy assembles a small army of desperadoes and takes over the town of Tombstone. The story's actually pretty silly, as Two-Gun uses several unlikely tricks - and a convenient calvary charge - to deal with the army of criminals.

This issue from 1963 is a great showcase for some terrific artists, including: a strong cover by the excellent Don Heck; solid, professional storytelling in the main story by Dick Ayers; and a nifty little backup story that is credited to Ayers but sure looks like Gene Colan to me.

Since I wasn't smart enough to pick up these westerns when I was a kid, I make it point to track them down when I can. This issue, for example, was obtained at a recent comics convention.

I've also been reading the recent Essentials collection of The Rawhide Kid and enjoying those all-out action tales by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.

Hey, better late than never!

Grade: B-

------------------


1 comment:

Shar said...

Yep, that second story is definitely by Colan. At the time Colan was working on westerns for Stan, so the Ayers credit here may have simply been an error.