Thursday, August 7, 2014

New Avengers #22

   OK, I admit that this series is really starting to worry me.

   It centers around a "no-win" situation, as planets from alternate realities are encroaching on the Marvel version of the Earth - and to save their own planet, the New Avengers must destroy the invading planets.

   That's been easy so far - the invading planets were either barren or the home of evil creatures - but the latest invader is home to billions of innocent souls.

   So for one of the members of the team to "pull the trigger" means that hero has suddenly become the biggest mass murderer ever.

   I like the lineup in this series - Iron Man, Hulk, Mr. Fantastic, the Beast, Namor, the Black Panther, Black Bolt and Dr. Strange  - and I hate to see any of them reduced to that.

   And that's why I'm worried. They've already cast Dr. Strange as a dark sorcerer, calling down obscene monsters to fight his battles - and dealing death. That's not the Dr. Strange I grew up reading.

   And as for the character who commits the murderous act - let's just say he deserves better.

   I have no idea where this story is going, and it's certainly compelling - but it's getting into terribly dark territory, and I don't see much hope of a happy ending.

Grade: B

-------------------------

No comments: