Sunday, November 30, 2014

The Flash #36

   I really like the TV show based on The Flash - I just wish I could say the same about the comic book.

   The series is still - still! - slogged down in a Speed Force-based storyline. (This has been going on for almost three years now.)

   Created by Mark Waid (if I recall correctly), the Speed Force is the mysterious source that enables speedsters like The Flash to achieve impossible velocities - and it's been the basis for a number of stories since its creation.

   But the "New 52" version of the Flash gives us a Speed Force that takes different shapes and purposes - which means it can be just about anything.

   So is it a strange, unstable, blasted wasteland (as seen in an earlier "New 52" story) or is it a jungle loaded with dinosaurs and attacking robots? Sure, why not?

   While the Flash is back there, on Earth the Barry Allen visiting from the future is settling into his modern-day counterpart's life - oh, and guess who's evil now? It's apparently the "in" thing, heroes who are villains.

   I think I'd be happy if Barry could just win a fight once in a while. He only survives this issue because of assistance - he'd never last on his own.

    And that's not my idea of a hero.

Grade: C+

------------------------


 

No comments: