Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Monsters Unleashed #1


    Well, I do like a good monster story - and Marvel specializes in awesome monsters, courtesy of the pre-Silver Age creations of Lee / Kirby / Ditko / Heck (and others) with names like Googam, Zzzax, Groot and Fin Fang Foom.

   (Man, spellcheck hates those names.)

   So Monsters Unleashed (the latest event) brings back those larger than life, city-wrecking creatures - and then some.

   Earth is under attack by an army of strange, gigantic creatures (though surprisingly, they're mostly new to Marvel), and every superhero is called into service to fight the invasion - including a name I haven't heard in quite a while (and I'm happy for the return).

   It seems like a thin concept for an event - and no doubt all the spinoff titles will features different heroes fighting different monsters - but I have to admit, it's fun.

   The art by Steve McNiven and Jay Leisten is terrific, with powerful character and monster designs and striking environments.

   So the jury's still out on this one - it's one part nostalgia and one part disaster flick - but I think I'll be picking up the main event series, at least. But I'll probably pass on the spinoffs.

   But I'll bet the creative teams can't wait to tackle these new and classic monsters.

   And whatever happened to Groot, anyway?

Grade: A-

-----------------
 

 

No comments: